- Client Forms
- Hot Topics
My husband usually makes breakfast on the weekends but today he took our dog out for a run a little later in the morning and the troops were getting hungry. So, it was my turn to step up to the plate and make them something healthy and delicious. Challenge accepted. I decided to try and make our own muffins from scratch without googling a thing! And here is what we came up with…
Banana Blueberry Bran Protein Muffins
A healthy and delicious muffin that can be used for breakfast or a snack on the run.
Write a review
- 3/4 cup mashed ripe banana (about 2 medium)
- 1 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour (see notes)
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup oat bran
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon ground chia seed
- 6 tablespoons coconut sugar (or Sucanat or natural cane sugar)
- 1.5 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup frozen or fresh blueberries (see note)
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease or line a muffin tin.
- In a medium bowl, mash bananas and place in a medium bowl along with the milk, vinegar, maple syrup, greek yogurt, chia and vanilla.
- Melt the coconut oil in a small pot over low heat. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients (flours, oat bran, sugar, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda).
- Stir coconut oil into the wet mixture. Pour wet ingredients onto the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Gently fold in the blueberries, being sure not to overmix as this can result in dense muffins.
- Spoon about a heaping 1/4 cup of batter into each muffin tin, filling each tin about 3/4 full
- Bake at 350F for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 5-8 minutes and then transfer muffins to a cooling rack and cool for another 15 minutes.
- Feel free to substitute the buckwheat and whole wheat flour for spelt flour to have a nice gluten-free muffin.
- If you are using frozen berries please add them frozen at the very end to prevent bleeding into your muffin.
By The Holistic You
The Holistic You http://the-holistic-you.com/
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Working with Lisa and the Holistic You has been one of the best things I have ever done for my health. Lisa's compassion, kindness, knowledge and skill are incredible. I have learned so much from her that has helped me to not only lose and maintain healthy weight loss but introduce myself and my family to important changes in how and what we eat that will support us for a lifetime. Thank you, Lisa!!! You are the best!
Robin Young Groton, MA