- Client Forms
- Hot Topics
The other night was one of those crazy-hectic-crazy-I-have-no-time-to-make-dinner kind of a nights. I spent a couple of minutes looking through the recipes that I have posted on my site and found one I liked…BUT I didn’t have the ingredients. Next thing I knew I’m doing my own thing with 4+1 kids running around my legs. This took me literally less than 10 minutes from start to finish (with some helpful shortcuts that didn’t compromise nutritional value).
A delicious, fast and healthy teriyaki bowl that will leave you wishing you had doubled the recipe (seriously, double the recipe!)
Write a review
- 3 bell peppers (time crunch: use frozen pre-cut peppers)
- 1 15oz can of chick peas, rinsed and drained (if you have time used dried cooked chick peas)
- 1 bag pre-washed spinach
- 1 bag microwaveable brown rice (available at Trader Joe's) (if you have time use dried cooked rice)
- 1 tablespoon flax oil (optional)
For the sauce
- 6 tablespoons tamari
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon kelp granules (optional)
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- Sauté peppers and chick peas on low-medium heat.
- Cook microwaveable brown rice per instructions. If you are making dried rice prepare in advance based on instructions.
- Prepare sauce by combining all ingredients in a bowl and whisking.
- Add rice, spinach and sauce to sauté.
- Serve on a bed of greens.
- It is always great to cook your chick peas or other beans from scratch because it improves the digestibility. We are all busy and sometimes can't, be ok with that. Same with the brown rice and frozen veggies, we lose minimal if any nutritional value by choosing these options and they can make meal time healthier when we may turn to a more unhealthy option in a time crunch.
By The Holistic You
The Holistic You http://the-holistic-you.com/
Tagged with: 10-minute meals
Subscribe to Blog via Email
In January 2013 I realized I needed to do something to improve my health. I spent 2012 on maternity leave and often neglected taking care of my own health (sleepless nights and caring for a tiny human will do that!). Not to mention the many years before that where health was at the bottom of my list of priorities. Luckily, I discovered Lisa's 30 day green smoothie challenge. The recipes were incredible and a green smoothie drinker was born! But I didn't stop there. Starting each day in such a healthy way led me to consult with a naturopath (it would have been Lisa if we were in the same city), do an elimination diet, and discover that I have sensitivities to wheat and milk. I changed to a whole foods-based diet (most of the time) and took up running. In the span of 8.5 months I went from being tired and sluggish on the couch (literally - I could run for one minute at a time before having to walk) to having enough energy to run the Detroit International Half Marathon. I actually RAN the whole thing! And I lost almost 60lbs along the way! Thank you, Lisa, for being my catalyst. Your challenge kept me interested in a new way of living and saved me! I continue to drink a green smoothie every day for breakfast. What a wonderful way to start each day!
Thank you thank you thank you!!!
Imogen Meloche Windsor, Ontario